Monday, September 14, 2020

Block 1 of our Modern Block of the Month

 Hello everyone!

 I hope you are all well and keeping busy with things that make you happy, including sewing.

For Block 1 of our Modern BOM we will use four fabrics...3 fabrics plus 1 background fabric. 

The fabrics I chose happen to be colour coordinated with the block's instructions. If yours are not, I suggest numbering them 1, 2, 3, and 4, and make notes on the instructions which are which. This will hopefully help avoid confusion.

As it says in the instructions, you will cut out 4" x 8" rectangles...2 from each fabric. This is if you want to use the method in the instructions for constructing half-square triangles (HST's). You can use your own preferred method if you want, I think we all have our favourite. I decided to do what the pattern instructs us to.  I always like to try "new-to-me" methods because you never know....it may become my new favourite method!


Next, draw the lines on the fabric as shown in the diagram, and in my picture. These are NOT sewing lines, they will come to be cutting lines shortly. 



You then sew on either side of the diagonal lines. You can chain sew these to save a bit of time.


Once the sewing is done, you can now cut the drawn lines



Take note on the next step....the pressing of the units. For each colour combo (there will be four of each combo), you will press the seams of two HST's to one side, and the opposite way for the other 2. This is important for when we sew it all together...the seams will nest nicely for easier sewing and to reduce bulk.

In my picture you can see that two are pressed to the orange, the other 2 to the white background fabric.



You will then trim the blocks to 3.5". I know it's a bit tedious to make the blocks bigger than you need and then trim them down, but this results in precision...a much desired thing in piecing quilts!

On a side note, for trimming HST's I really like using the Bloc Loc rulers. They definitely are not a necessity, but it is a ruler that I'm glad I purchased (lol, not like a drawer full of ones that I don't use). 


Next, follow the diagram in the instructions to assemble your block. 

Take particular notice of the arrows on the diagram. These arrows indicate which units to place where, according to which way you pressed the seam allowances (clear as mud?). 

Sew the units together into four horizontal rows. Press the seams in rows 1 and 3 in one direction, and press the seams in rows 2 and 4 in the opposite direction.

Then sew the three long seams. I happened to press these seams open, which was a personal preference for this block. As someone who has been making quilts for 40 years now, I can't believe that I now press seams open on occasion! I think, for this block, it makes it lie flatter once it's all pressed. 


And there you have it...the first block done!


Remember, we'd all love to see your blocks! Please post pictures of them on Instagram using the hashtag #tqgmodernbom. If you are new to Instagram, note the use of all lower-case letters, and no spaces.

If you don't have an Instagram account, I suggest you consider it. It is such a good tool for sharing ideas with people, near and far. I prefer it over Facebook, actually. Maybe you have a friend that could tell you all about it and explain how to make the most of it. 

For example....if I am making a Log Cabin quilt, I "follow" the hashtag #logcabinquilts, then anytime anyone in the world uses that hashtag I will see that post. Great for getting ideas on design and colour. I actually have many "virtual friends" now that have the same interest as I do. 

Also, you can follow your friends on Instagram to see what they want to share. When looking for someone you know, you use this symbol "@"....for instance, to find me you would type in my handle, which is @sandra.croley. 

2 comments:

  1. Sandra hope you don't mind but I'd like to use Sheweshewe for mine too! Have had some fat quarters for a few years and this would be great to use them in!

    ReplyDelete

June block...Circle of Geese / Log Cabin....we're done!

  Here we are...the final installment of the Modern BOM! Doing a BOM sure does seem to make the time fly...for me, anyway. In this post I wi...