Monday, April 12, 2021

Modern BOM....Block 10, Film Strip

Wow, we really are moving right along with these blocks! 


I guess it feels like that since we doubled up the last two months. We are on Block 10, and there will only be one block per month now, for May and June.


I really enjoyed this month's block. 


First things first, cut out all the pieces you'll need. A heads-up...for the Half-Square Triangles, I think you could use smaller pieces, I had more waste than usual making these using 3.5" squares.


I didn't cut the so-called "scraps" of focal fabrics at this point.




Make your HST's and the 12 "other" blocks (I don't know what else to call them, lol).




For the centre star block, if you don't care for the star, you can actually substitute a block of your choice, as long as it is 6.5" unfinished.


When you cut the scraps for the star points I suggest scraps that are 1.5" - 1.75"wide. Perhaps make one of the units first to get the hang of it.


For the centre of the star block you can do one of three things...

1. use background fabric like in the instructions

2. use a print fabric

3. fussy cut a fabric....always fun!


I took a couple of pictures to show the difference...






....I fully intended on using background fabric for mine, but I really liked seeing the print in the middle. A tip...I took all three pictures, then looked at them on my phone so I could see what I liked best. Doing this did help me decide!


Lay out all of your components and shuffle them around until you are pleased with the arrangement. I did make a mistake in this layout so as to make a point. Nowhere in the block should any of the focus fabrics touch the outside edge of the block. Note the upper left corner where I've got the corner unit placed incorrectly.





In this picture you can see it corrected...




Next, sew the units to the left and right of the star block together, then the upper and lower units...




Then sew the final seams to complete your block!



Now, I could have switched out the really short star point with a longer one (that was the first point that I sewed), but I'm ok with the quirkiness of it.

I'm going to put a bug in your ear to maybe start thinking of how you want your quilt put together in the end. There are so many possibilities.

I arranged my blocks on the design wall in no particular order...



Then I arranged them on point...



Remember, if you choose to do your blocks on point you will need a thirteenth block.  I kind of have an idea of a block in my mind to offer you, but I'll have to test it out first. 

Remember...share your work on Instagram using the hashtags #tqgmodernbom, and #twilightquiltersguild.

You can find the link to the Twilight Quilters' Guild blog post for our April block, in which you will find the link to the instructions for this block...HERE



Have fun!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

June block...Circle of Geese / Log Cabin....we're done!

  Here we are...the final installment of the Modern BOM! Doing a BOM sure does seem to make the time fly...for me, anyway. In this post I wi...